Fresh Basil is Frequently Infested. Must be checked.
Look for: aphids, thrips and leafminers.
How to check basil for bugs
- Remove the leaves from the stem.
- Soak the leaves in a solution of vegetable wash and water. Enough vegetable wash should be used to make the solution feel slippery and sudsy. The solution should be in a vessel that is large enough to fit the product to be checked, and to allow an individual to vigorously agitate the product.
- Agitate the product in the solution.
- Remove the product from the solution. Direct a stream of water at each leaf, on both sides, and rub the leaves with your fingers during the process.
5. Check both sides of each leaf over a light source.
- If any insects are found, repeat steps 2-5.
- Check each leaf on both sides. If any insects are found, discard the entire bunch.