Commercially Grown Blueberries are sometimes infested. They must be checked.
How to check blueberries
- Soak in a solution of vegetable wash and water.
- Cut open ten per cent of the blueberries and check for worms.
- Check, also, the crowns of the ten per cent.
- If no infestation is found, all of the blueberries (not just the ten per cent) may be eaten.
- If infestation is found in any of the blueberries, all of the remaining blueberries must be cut open and checked. (Those that are found not to be infested may be eaten. Those that are found to be infested should be discarded.).
Blueberry Jam and Pie Filling (commercially made)
Even if there are pieces of blueberry inside, these products are permitted, due to the processing which they go through. This applies only to commercially made products. When these products are made at home, the regular procedure for checking fresh blueberries must be followed.